At the end of August, to celebrate the launch of her new virtual home, Tiffany Moore asked a number of her favourite bloggers to answer some BIG questions. I have been looking for a challenge and decided to take a stab at this particular exercise.
* * * * *
How do you take care of yourself? Tell the truth.
Such a simple question.
My answer today is so vastly different than what it would have been a year ago, even six months ago.
I take good care of myself.
- I quit smoking over 11 years ago and some days I crave a cigarette desperately. I really thought it would go away, but it hasn't. I do exactly what I did to quit smoking - I brush my teeth. It works!
- I discovered I have Hashimoto's Disease and take medication every day. I still don't think I'm right, but it's way better than it was. I really believe that the cronic depression epidemic taking over North America is a lot undiagnosed thyroid disease.
- Since I was a kid, I've had asthma and psoriasis. Both are exascerbated by stress. I'm divorcing reducing the stress and the psoriasis is going away. I take my asthma meds.
- I no longer eat processed sugar, save the one teaspoon of raw sugar I put in my single cup of coffee in the morning.
- I have been prescribed supplements from my naturopath. I take them regularly.
- My Fitbit has given me a lot of great data and I'm using it to design an effective "move more" program. I swim and walk at the YMCA.
- I've remembered how to dream. In the night and in the day.
- I have new Asics.
- I have cut back to very little processed or fast food, especially if circumstances are such that I can make a "real" meal. I shop the perimetre of the grocery store and have learned to make a ton of "real" food.
- I sleep at least 7 hours each night and have really make an effort to get 8.
- I've cut back on my wine consumption - not completely, but certainly a lot. I replace it with Perrier - in a wine glass.
- I see my doctor, dentist and naturopath regularly.
I continue to surround myself with genuine, kind, flawed and fun people.
I continue to read inspiring books by incredibly intelligent, warm and qualified people.
I continue to do my best.
Go see what Elise Blaha Cripe had to say when she was posed this question.